Monday, June 13, 2005

How To Get Rejected from Annuals, Biennials and Triennials


TV Set Still Life watercolor 11" X 15"

This is favorite image for getting rejected from juried art shows. I have used it a half a dozen times and it has succeeded every time. I even placed it in an art auction, one where I had been successful in the past and voila! - another rejection. I guess I could put in my own private Salon des Refuses; perhaps I will keep that idea for future use.

Recently, I went to see the local Biennial currently being exhibited at the nearby Art Museum. Since I had nothing at stake personally, I thought I would enjoy the show more than if I had submitted work to the jury. This was not the case; as far as I was concerned the show was not very inspiring. My thoughts went back to the previous Biennial at the same institution, which to my recollection was a very good show. I was happy to be rejected from that show. (well almost)

Over the years I have seen many such juried shows of local or regional talent, varying in quality ranging from awful to pretty good, at least in my opinion. The really remarkable shows, the ones that stick in your mind for a long time have been outside the venue of juried art salons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home